Get a full page advertising listing for your motorcycle business
Click Here!

Building

Norton

Norton

the Alphabets, NYC, NYS-usa

Posted by plismo on 2013-08-13 18:02:14

Tagged: , the Alphabets , NYC , NYS , usa , motorcycle , norton , art , building , city , composition , downtown , metal , plismo , wall , urban

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Pieces Of Eight- The Last Days

Pieces Of Eight- The Last Days

Posted by jdcow on 2010-03-19 15:24:45

Tagged: , Downtown Milwaukee , Milwaukee , Wisconsin , Downtown , Milwaukee Wisconsin , Pieces of Eight , Restaurant , Tees , Evergreen , Birch , Building , FlickrAward

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

The Great Pieces Of Eight

The Great Pieces Of Eight

CLOSED & New Coming !!

Posted by jdcow on 2010-03-07 00:56:49

Tagged: , Downtown Milwaukee , Downtown , Milwaukee Wisconsin , Milwaukee , Wisconsin , Restaurant , Pieces Of Eight Restaurant , Pieces Of Eight , Lake Michigan , lake , Great Lake , Building , Trees , Winter , Snow , FlickrAward

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Milwaukee (WIS) E Wisconsin Ave ” 43 Whitnall ” Milwaukee County Transit System CTS

Milwaukee (WIS) E Wisconsin Ave

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljm1rlTeeA&hd=1

www.dailymotion.com/video/xfbw3z_milwaukee-traffic_travel

right side :

Northwestern Mutual Building ( grey )
720 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Built: 1914
One of America’s largest insurance companies, Northwestern Mutual has occupied several downtown locations over its lifetime. Prior to this site, it was at 611 N. Broadway. Thousands of tons of steel and granite are supported by 6000 wooden pilings, set into the swampy land underneath. Newer skyscrapers complete the complex.

Milwaukee Gas Light Building (Wisconsin Gas Building) ( red )
626 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Built: 1930Originally called the Milwaukee Gas Light Co., "MGL" can be seen in the metal spandrels on the building. The setbacks at upper floor levels make this a classic Art Deco design. Eschweiler & Eschweiler chose to use lighter brick colors at upper levels, making the building appear taller and "sunnier." The first 2.5 stories are faced in granite.
The lighted "weather flame" is used to indicate weather predictions; GOLD: Cold, RED: Warm weather ahead, BLUE: No change in view. Flashing means precipitation is anticipated.

Left side :

Milwaukee Federal Building
517 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Built: 1899
This (Henry Hobson) Richardson Romanesque structure was designed by Willoughby J. Edbrooke, Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department of the U.S. Government. Maine granite is used as the facing. The rear wing was added in 1930.

411 East Wisconsin Center
411 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Built: 1985
This 30 story, 600,000 square foot rhomboid is on the site of the former T. A. Chapman Co. department store. It was constructed of 1200 eight-ton precast concrete panels. The inset tinted windows break up the mass of the building.

right side :

Milwaukee Gas Light Building (Wisconsin Gas Building) ( red )
626 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Built: 1930Originally called the Milwaukee Gas Light Co., "MGL" can be seen in the metal spandrels on the building. The setbacks at upper floor levels make this a classic Art Deco design. Eschweiler & Eschweiler chose to use lighter brick colors at upper levels, making the building appear taller and "sunnier." The first 2.5 stories are faced in granite.
The lighted "weather flame" is used to indicate weather predictions; GOLD: Cold, RED: Warm weather ahead, BLUE: No change in view. Flashing means precipitation is anticipated.

Posted by (vincent desjardins) on 2010-07-03 07:18:17

Tagged: , rain , pluie , Milwaukee County Transit System , CTS , milwaukee gas light building , building , urban landscape , bus , traffic , Milwaukee , Wisconsin

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Milwaukee (WIS) Downtown – Milwaukee Athletic Club 1917

Milwaukee (WIS) Downtown - Milwaukee Athletic Club 1917

The Milwaukee Athletic Club was established on September 18, 1882 by eight young men for the purpose of "developing of the bodily powers through gymnastic and other exercises”. Since that time, the MAC has enjoyed much growth and change.

Nine buildings housed the Club before it moved in 1917 to its present site on the corner of Broadway and Mason. The MAC occupies all 12 floors of the building. Within these walls is a formal dining room, 17 private meeting rooms including our Grand Ballroom, 60 guestrooms, two cocktail lounges, library, barber shop, child care room, racquetball and squash courts, co-ed fitness studio and private men’s and women’s athletic facilities, each with its own lap pool.

Posted by (vincent desjardins) on 2010-06-30 22:59:05

Tagged: , building , architecture , street , Milwaukee , Wisconsin , athletic club , downtown

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

you gotta give to get

you gotta give to get

(better large)

Inside the entryway for the Milwaukee Art Museum.

Designed by Santiago Calatrava.

Architect, artist, and engineer Santiago Calatrava was born on July 28, 1951, in Valencia, Spain. His background was eclectic. Calatrava is an aristocratic name, passed down from a medieval order of knights. The family on both sides was engaged in the agricultural export business, which gave them an international outlook that was rare during the Franco dictatorship.

Calatrava attended primary and secondary school in Valencia. From the age of eight, he also attended the Arts and Crafts School, where he began his formal instruction in drawing and painting. When he was thirteen, his family took advantage of the recent opening of the borders and sent him to Paris as an exchange student. He later traveled and studied in Switzerland as well. Upon completing high school in Valencia, he went to Paris with the intention of enrolling in the Ecole des Beaux-Arts; but since he arrived in June 1968, he found his plan was unworkable. He returned to Valencia and enrolled in the Escuela Tecnica Superior de Arquitectura, a relatively new institution, where he earned a degree in architecture and took a post-graduate course in urbanism. While at the school, he also undertook independent projects with a group of fellow students, producing two books on the vernacular architecture of Valencia and Ibiza.

Attracted by the mathematical rigor of certain great works of historic architecture, and feeling that his training in Valencia had given him no clear direction, Calatrava decided to pursue post-graduate studies in civil engineering and enrolled in 1975 at the ETH (Federal Institute of Technology) in Zurich. He received his Ph.D. in 1979. It was during this period that he met and married his wife, who was a law student in Zurich.

After completing his studies, Calatrava took a position as an assistant at the ETH and began to accept small engineering commissions, such as designing the roof for a library or the balcony of a private residence. He also began to enter competitions, believing this was his most likely way to secure commissions. His first winning competition proposal, in 1983, was for the design and construction of Stadelhofen Railway Station in Zurich, the city in which he established his office.

In 1984, Calatrava, designed and build the Bach de Roda Bridge, commissioned for the Olympic Games in Barcelona. This was the beginning of the bridge projects that established his international reputation. Among the other notable bridges that followed were the Alamillo Bridge and viaduct, commissioned for the World’s Fair in Seville (1987-92); Campo Volantin Footbridge in Bilbao (1990-97); and Alameda Bridge and underground station in Valencia (1991-95).

Calatrava established his firm’s second office, in Paris, in 1989, when he was working on the Lyon Airport Station (1989-94). He opened his third office, in Valencia, in 1991 to facilitate work on a competition, a very large cultural complex and urban intervention, the City of Arts and Sciences, Valencia (ongoing). Other large-scale public projects from the late 1980s through the mid-1990s include the BCE Place mall in Toronto (1987-92); the Oriente railway station in Lisbon (1993-98, commissioned for Expo ’98); and the winning proposal in the design competition to complete the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City (1991), a project that has not been realized.

Exhibitions of Calatrava’s work were first mounted in 1985, with a showing of nine sculptures in an art gallery in Zurich. A new stage in recognition was marked by two solo exhibitions: a retrospective at the Royal Institute of British Architects, London, in 1992, and the exhibition Structure and Expression at The Museum of Modern Art, New York, in 1993. The latter exhibition included an installation in the museum’s Sculpture Garden of Shadow Machine, a large-scale sculpture with undulating concrete “fingers.” The most complete exhibition yet mounted of his work was Santiago Calatrava: Artist, Architect, Engineer, presented at the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence, Italy (2000- 2001). Similar exhibitions were mounted in 2001 in Dallas, Texas (to inaugurate the new Meadows Museum) and in Athens, at the National Gallery, Alexandro Soutzos Museum.

Major projects that were recently inaugurated include Sondica Airport, Bilbao (2000); The Bridge of Europe, Orléans, France (2000); the Bodegas Ysios winery in Laguardia, Spain (2001); Calatrava’s first building in the United States, the acclaimed expansion of the Milwaukee Art Museum (2001); Blackhall Place Bridge, Dublin, Ireland (2003) and the Tenerife Opera House, Santa Cruz, Canary Islands (2003). Among the projects that are currently coming to completion are Petach Tikvah Bridge, Tel Aviv, Israel (spring 2003); Quatro Ponte sul Canal Grande, Venice, Italy (early 2004); Turtle Bay Bridge, Redding, California (summer 2004); the Athens Olympic Sports Complex (summer 2004); and the Valencia Opera House (2004), the last major building in his City of Arts and Sciences.

Among his major recent commissions, Calatrava has been selected to design Christ the Light Cathedral for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland, California; and Symphony Center for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in Atlanta, Georgia.

Honors and awards given to Santiago Calatrava include the Gold Medal of the Institute of Structural Engineers, London; the City of Toronto Urban Design Award; designation as a Global Leader for Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum in Davos; the Creu Sant Jordi, Barcelona; the Gold Medal for Merit in the Fine Arts, Ministry of Culture, Spain; membership in Les Arts et Lettres, Paris; the Algur H. Meadows Award for Excellence in the Arts (Meadows School of the Arts); the Gold Medal of the Circulo de Bellas Artes, Valencia; Time Magazine’s “Best of 2001” designation for the expansion of the Milwaukee Art Museum; the Sir Misha Black Medal, Royal College of Art, London; the Leonardo da Vinci Medal, Société pour la Formation des Ingénieurs; and the Principe de Asturias Art Prize; the Gold Medal of Architecture of L’ Académie d’Architecture, Paris; the European Steel Design Award for the Roof of the University of Zurich, the Silver Beam Award of the Swedish Instititute of Steel Construction and the Illuminating Design Award of Merit of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, New York. In addition, Santiago Calatrava has received 12 honorary doctorates to date.

Posted by *April* on 2007-07-02 04:10:30

Tagged: , Milwaukee , Wisconsin , Santiago Calatrava , architecture , modern , Calatrava , building , ribs , explore , interesting , interestingness , i500 , interestingness41 , betterthangood

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Germania Building ~ Milwaukee Wi ~ Historic Building ~ Vintage Film

Germania Building ~ Milwaukee Wi ~ Historic Building ~ Vintage Film

The Germania Building is an eight-story historic Beaux-Arts/Classical Revival building. It was built in 1896 for George Brumder to house the headquarters of his burgeoning publishing empire.
NRHP

Posted by Onasill ~ Bill Badzo on 2014-03-11 00:07:03

Tagged: , Germania , Building , Milwaukee , Wi , Historic , NRHP , Historical , Onasill , Sly , Clouds , Architecture , Beaux , Arts , German , Landmark , Attraction , Domes , Architectural , Kilbourn , Town , District , 1001 Nights , 1001 Nights/Magic City

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Germania Building ~ Milwaukee WS ~ Historical Building ~ Register

Germania Building ~ Milwaukee WS ~ Historical Building ~ Register

The Germania Building is an eight-story historic Beaux-Arts/Classical Revival building . It was built in 1896 for George Brumder to house the headquarters of his burgeoning publishing empire. The 8-story, building was designed by German-trained architects Schnetzky & Liebert and was, at the time of its construction, the largest office building in the city of Milwaukee. In addition to its characteristic copper pickelhaube domes, the building was graced by a 10-foot (3.0 m)-tall, three-ton bronze statue of Germania on a plinth over the door. In 1918, the building’s name was changed to the Brumder Building in response to anti-German sentiment during World War I, and the statue was removed discretely in the night.
NRHP Reference #83003405

Posted by Onasill ~ Bill Badzo on 2013-10-16 22:31:05

Tagged: , Germania , Building , Milwaukee , WS , Wisconsin , Historical , NRHP , Historic , Register , German , Publisher , Landmark , Domes , Architecture , Beaux-Arts , Style , Brumder , Onasill , Largest , Architect , Walking , Tour , Entrance , Flower , Planters , Sky , Dramatic , Clouds

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Motorcycle Advertising

Clothing

Follow me on Twitter

Archives

Categories