NORTON DOMINATOR 99. 600 CC TWIN 1960s

NORTON DOMINATOR  99. 600 CC TWIN  1960s

The Model 99 was added to the Norton range in 1956 in order to provide a machine with a bit more power than the existing 500cc Model 88, the extra torque quickly establishing its popularity. The larger capacity was achieved by increasing both the bore and the stroke of the engine, with which it is otherwise identical. The original magneto and dynamo electrics were replaced in 1958 by a coil, distributor and alternator set up; the Model 99 however, never did get the downdraught cylinder head.
The paint finish for the Standard version was polychromatic grey with options of blue or Post Office red.

The Wideline Featherbed frame on the first Model 99 was superseded by the Slimline in 1960, coinciding with a twin carburettor 99 Sports Special (99SS) being made available. There were some modifications to the clutch in the same year, the plate order being juggled in order to have the sprocket plate as a solid one.

The De Luxe version was produced to satisfy a largely imaginary demand for semi enclosed machines and was Norton’s response to similar efforts from Triumph and Ariel. The front half of the side panels are quickly detachable to permit access to the battery and other parts, with the rear part lifting up to facilitate wheel removal. The seat also hinges up to reveal the tool tray and the oil tank filler. Produced in the heyday of the coffee bar racer, a great many De Luxes were stripped for these purposes, resulting in it being a very rare model these days in its original trim. Colour options for the De Luxe were either red / dove grey or blue / dove grey.

Posted by ronsaunders47 on 2011-12-12 12:21:28

Tagged: , MOTORCYCLES , BRITISH MOTORCYCLES , CLASSIC MOTORCYCLES , MOTORBIKES , NORTON , DOMINATOR

Advertise your bike business at Bikes n Customs
#bikesncustoms

Leave a Reply